Thursday, April 25, 2013

“Resting” is not Required to Recharge


Unbelievably, it’s already the end of April and there are less than two months before the kids are out of school for the summer.  It just amazes me how quickly time can fly by.  Summer is still two months away, which will be here before we know it, but the little sneak peak of summer we’ve had the past few days has done nothing but make me wish that the enjoyable, warm summer days might come sooner rather than later. 
The way time does pass by, I know I’ll get my wish soon enough.  I just have to remember to look up every so often so I don’t miss it.  It’s easy enough to forget to take a breather when my focus is largely on what needs to be accomplished to reach my goals for the future.  I’ve been so busy lately with work, with writing, with my family and all the busyness that family life brings and very recently, I’ve started a new project which will offer a great opportunity for me in my profession as an investigator.  So much to do with seemingly so little time but yet, there are those days when I have to remind myself that not everything has to be accomplished today; there is, arguably, always tomorrow should I decide to just rest today. 

Problem is I have to remember to take a step back, take a deep breath, and know that it’s okay to just relax.  Now, if you really know me, you know my idea of relaxing is not quite the same as what that term means:  to spend time resting.  I’m not very good at just resting.  I’ll always find something to do.  It’s just the way I am and I really can’t apologize for it.
Even though I may not completely relax in order to regroup, refocus and recharge, I do find a way to accomplish those tasks in my own way.  Writing is one way I relax.  So is gardening.  I love to read a good book.  Or spend time with my family.  My dogs are a great distraction and I look forward to the summer months when I can watch them play in the creek.  I am hopelessly into scrapbooking for the sake of keeping organized books for all my memories.  I enjoy road trips.  I also really enjoy taking photographs.  I keep my camera with me every day just in case a photo opportunity comes my way.  You can see things so much differently through a lens and it helps to take note of the details around you. 

If I am able to relax in my own way, I accomplish so much when I’m able to take the time to focus on the details whether I’m taking photographs, putting together a new page in a scrapbook, enjoying time with my family during an outing or even pulling weeds in my garden.  Even as I focus on the details while I enjoy each distraction, it somehow opens the floodgates of my imagination so that I begin to think of new ideas for my books or my characters.  I am then rewarded with the energy I need to regroup, refocus and recharge so that I am able to put so much more into my daily writing and professional goals.   
Of course, the trick is remembering when to work and when to relax…but I'm working on it!

No comments:

Post a Comment