Sunday, May 4, 2014

Prepping the summer reading list

How have you been doing with your reading list lately?  I think I’ve been doing pretty well and here’s a photo of the books I’ve read most recently:


I’ve managed to get through a number of books lately and I’m looking forward to the next batch of books I hope to plow through during the summer months.  Recognize any of the books in my photo?  Have you read any of them?  If you haven’t heard of or read The Maze Runner series, you may not realize that four of the books included with those I’ve read recently are from the young adult series.  I’ll admit I haven’t read much in the way of young adult books since Harry Potter took readers on full force before books like Twilight, The Hunger Games and then the Divergent series took over.  My youngest son knew I was looking for new books to read and he asked me to read some of his favorite books.  I decided to start with The Maze Runner.  It was an easy, fast-paced read and it kept me guessing so I can understand why my son liked it so much.  Out of the four books in the series, I have to say The Maze Runner (1st book) and The Kill Order (4th book) are my favorites.      

Now I’m preparing my summer reading list and I’ve got a good selection, I think, of what I believe will be good, suspenseful, fast-paced reads.  Except for the non-fiction books, of course; can’t say those will be very suspenseful.  I’m also starting another of my son’s favorite young adult series, Divergent.  I’ve seen the movie so there won’t be many surprises there but if it’s an enjoyable read, I’ll be adding the other two books to my summer reading list as well.   


Some ask me how I find the time to read…I guess those who ask me know how busy I am and they just can’t imagine I somehow manage to find the time to read other books.  But to write well, you have to read often.  The two go hand-in-hand.  There’s that fact and the fact that reading is just a terrific way to escape the stresses of every-day life; whether the book makes you laugh, is a light read so that you’re not delving into anything real heavy or it’s a suspenseful or apocalyptic read to remind you…your life really isn’t so bad.  

Even so, how do I find the time?  I remember a time when I used to be able to sit and read for hours.  Hours.  I’d easily finish a book in a day.  I really can’t imagine that now.  I don’t have hours to spare because the hours I do have are already earmarked for so many other things…the day job, my writing, household chores, outside chores, shopping, necessary paperwork, visiting with family, spending time with my husband and my boys…and other important things like sleeping.  Really, who can find the time to read for hours anymore?  I can’t so I find the time when I can squeeze it in…a few minutes in my car before I head into the office after lunch, standing in the kitchen while stirring whatever food I’m trying not to burn, in bed before I go to sleep or until my husband finally admits the light is bothering him, during commercials if I’m watching a show, while I’m eating breakfast when I actually do eat breakfast, during the weekends when I just curl up in my chair and ignore my to-do list for awhile or, and this is my favorite, out on my porch when it’s nice enough to sit outside in the mornings with my coffee in one hand and my book in the other.

It doesn’t seem like much reading at any given time but those bits and pieces do add up and eventually…I finish a book and move on to the next.  I do what I can with the time I have, although I certainly can’t read fast enough for my son, who continuously asked me what part I was on in The Maze Runner series because he wanted to know when I was getting close to some of his favorite parts.  I can only imagine how often he’ll ask me that question when I finally get to the books in The Hunger Games, his ultimate favorite.

So how do you find the time to read?  Where are your favorite places to read?  If you’re a busy working mom (or dad) like me, I’m sure you’re just as creative as I am and I applaud you if you’re also able to keep up with your reading list. 

Happy reading!

   

No comments:

Post a Comment