Sunday, July 13, 2014

Summer Projects Underway!

We’re about half way through the month of July and also about half way through summer and it’s definitely been a busy one so far.  Of course, it’s not hard to keep busy because there’s always something to do.  Right now my time is divided between work, gardening and writing, spending time with family…and relaxing or playing in the sun.  

Misty - enjoys hanging out with me when I work in the gardens
I’m still going through revisions on Ties that Bind before I finally hand it off to the editor for review and I really can’t wait until this book is published.  It’ll be the third book in the series and I’m looking forward to the feedback I’ll receive from those who have been following the series from the beginning.  Personally, I know I’m growing as a writer and I believe each book will continue to be better than the last.  I’m already putting together ideas for the fourth book and I can’t wait to begin working on it once the third book is published.

But before that, I’m working on my new short story I hope to also have published before the end of the year.  I joined Camp Nano so that I could commit myself to a certain word count for the month on this new story and while I believe I will reach my word count, I’ll admit it’s been difficult the past week or so to keep up a steady stream of creativity.  It wouldn’t be so difficult if we weren’t having the heat wave of the century here in the Pacific Northwest.  Okay, maybe not really of the century, but it’s hot and muggy…not really our type of weather (and I like it).  When it gets as hot as it’s been, which is about 10 to 15 degrees hotter than normal this time of year, it can be really difficult to make myself stay in place in front of the computer when I’d much rather be outdoors enjoying the weather or avoiding the heat wave my office can cause on its own.
 
But it’s okay.  I’ll get a good start on the short story and because I limited my word count to 25,000 for the month, I’m certain I’ll make my goal.  You may be wondering what this new short story is about…it’s not another ghost story.  At least, I don’t think it is.  Actually, there are some spiritual elements to the story, now that I think about it, but the main issues for the character involve two things.  First, how to deal with a difficult marriage after a tragic loss and second, how to deal with a phenomenon the character can’t quite explain.  The phenomenon involves an element which readers may or may not be tuned in to, and that would be numerology.  If you’ve never experienced the relationship between a number and a coinciding event, you might not understand the concept behind the story, but for those who have experienced the phenomenon involved with numerology (what’s your number?), you’ll possibly understand more about what the character is going through.  Either way, whether the reader believes in numerology or not, has experienced the phenomenon or not, I hope they will enjoy the story I’ve developed as they root for the character to find the truth behind the message before it’s too late.

That’s just a little teaser for you.  I really can’t explain the story any further until it’s ready for publishing.  I might end up jinxing myself and I’m a bit superstitious about talking too much about a story in the works.

Now I’m off to enjoy some more of the wonderful sunshine we’ve been getting.  And I will enjoy the day without guilt because even with the sun coaxing me outside more often, I’m still finding time to revise and add to my word count so that my summer projects will continue to move even closer to completion.  However, while I do enjoy the fun summer brings, I look forward to what the next season holds when my projects move into the next phase and even closer to the hands of readers.       

Until next time, have a terrific day and a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment