Monday, September 1, 2014

Silence…both deafening and golden

It’s been awhile, I know…over a month since I last blogged.  I’ve been very quiet and you may have wondered why or maybe you’ve been too busy yourself to notice.  The reason for my silence has been for various reasons, including:  the beautiful summer weather our region was treated to this year, gardens to tend to, family outings and events, the celebration of our wedding anniversary and time spent working on the completion of two books. 

But why would those reasons prevent me from blogging? 

I’ve been busy before; heck, I’m always busy but I usually find the time to blog so that I keep up with my weekly schedule.  But this past month was a different one for me.  Even though it’s been a busy month, I also used this time to sit back and think…and that time spent was very productive for me.

That’s what silence will do to you sometimes.  It can be deafening, to the point that you have no choice but to listen, and then it becomes golden, so that you finally learn what has been hidden from you behind the noise.

This past month I’ve learned a few things about what I want and what I don’t want, what steps I need to take to make things happen, what sort of message I’m trying to share, when to compromise and when to be selfish and finally, how important it is to continue on the path I’ve chosen because it truly is what makes me happy. 

Am I going through some kind of mid-life crises?  No. 

Not yet, anyway.

I think the reason for my break was to really take stock in something that had been bothering me.  It wasn’t whether I was doing the right thing, or whether I should continue working towards what I truly want to do with my life.  It was how I could do what I truly want to do when so much else seemed to always get in the way. 

I had forgotten my motto when I first started this blog…don’t let life rule your passion.

And that’s what has been happening lately – life has been ruling my passion and I’ve been letting it happen.  I shudder at the thought of getting to the point where the mechanics are there but the passion has faded or died off.  And that could happen should I forget that someday the tide will turn and all this work won’t be for nothing.  This journey I decided to venture on is not a sprint but a marathon, and I have to remember that.  Getting where I want to be will take hard work, dedication and patience (guess I’m still learning) and the potholes in life should only add flavor to my writing, not take away from it.

So I’m going back to my motto of not letting life rule my passion and I’m moving forward with a better understanding of what I need to do to make that happen.  Thanks for the patience you’ve offered as I took a much needed break and I hope you’ll continue to stick with me as I move forward on this journey towards my dream.


No comments:

Post a Comment