Sunday, February 12, 2012

My Day Job...


I made a comment in my last post regarding the fact that my day job is about to change. 
Change…it is something I sometimes avoid like the plague.

Some who know me might disagree.  They’d say I always avoid change.
Even when I finally decided to plunk my butt down to write a book, it took some time to gather the nerve because I knew it would involve change in my life.  It is just not possible to take on the task of writing a book (or books) without accepting the fact that it will change your life. 

Of course, that’s only if you take it seriously and stick with it.
Which I do and I will.

But sometimes change happens whether you want it to or not; it happens whether the change is set in motion by yourself or someone else. 
I have been a private investigator for over 12 years and it has been a great ride.  I loved being my own boss and I have always enjoyed working as a defense investigator in criminal cases.  Even more important to me as a working mother was the ability to have a very flexible schedule.   I have been able to work around my boys’ schedules throughout their grade school and middle school years and even into high school for my oldest son.  I was able to attend every doctor’s appointment, baseball, football and basketball game, school meetings and assemblies and I believe I participated in just about every single field trip both of my sons ever took. 

Yes, I was very fortunate to have been there for my sons.  As quickly as time passes when it comes to how soon a child grows up, I’m grateful for the time I had with them during their younger years.
Now, my oldest is in college and my youngest will be attending high school next year.  I’m not sure how much my new job will affect them but I believe they are old enough to understand and accept the fact that I will not be around as much as I used to be.

If anyone were to complain, I believe my dogs would completely oppose the change. 
Seriously, I’m not kidding. 

Two of my dogs, Piper and Mandy, have grown very accustomed to hanging out with me while I work in my home office.  If you have animals, you understand they can get used to a routine.  However, while Piper and Mandy might not understand the new schedule, I know eventually they will get used to the new routine.
Here’s a shot of them hanging out on their Harry Potter blanket while I write:


They are great company.  I wish I could take them with me to my new job but I’m betting it’s out of the question.
The good news about my new job is that it will still involve criminal defense work and I will be working with people who I have professionally had contact with for over a decade.  It is the time spent working in another location that will be the biggest change for me.  The question of the day then is how I will continue to write books if I’m gone ten hours a day.  I have grumbled enough about time management issues while writing so this will certainly put my time management abilities to the test. 

However, many people write books while they work full-time jobs. 
I don’t have to reinvent the wheel.

It can be done. 
If something is important enough, you find the time to fit it into your life.  Change happens.  I will adjust.  I now have a new chapter in my life to look forward to and to learn from.  As I continue to use my blog to share my writing journey with you, I will also share any obstacles I face as I work a desk job and continue to write and, hopefully, as I become skilled with brilliant time management techniques. 


No comments:

Post a Comment