Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Shoot for the Moon


I’m really pleased with the feedback I have received regarding my book cover and blurb.  I appreciate everyone who has reached out to me to offer their feedback, their comments, an expression of their confidence in me and their excitement for what is yet to come.  I agree it is all very exciting.  But it is also a bit surreal.  It is, for a writer, a dream come true.

I’ve heard from others that I inspire them and I will admit it is a wonderful thing to hear.  The fact that I can inspire anyone to take on and tackle their own dreams is an achievement all its own.  I truly do hope I inspire and motivate others to do what has frightened them, challenged them or what they thought they had little time for in the midst of their crazy daily lives.  Life is just too short not to at least attempt to accomplish something you truly wish to do. 
What if you attempt something only to fail?  I guess that depends on what your definition of failure might be.  To fail is to be unsuccessful in your attempt to do something.  While the attempt may prove to be unsuccessful, the fact that any attempt was made at all does not necessarily mean to fail.  With each unsuccessful attempt, we learn from the mistakes we have made.  It helps us to move on, to do things differently, so that eventually we will succeed.  That does not spell failure.

“Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail.” 
~Ralph Waldo Emerson~
We can all play it safe and never try anything so we can say we never failed at anything.  Or we can live our lives to the best of our abilities and take on what we are passionate about, regardless of others’ expectations or our own fears of failure and disappointments. 

“Men’s best successes come after their disappointments.” 
~ Henry Ward Beecher~
Of course, we must include women in the above quote, but you get the drift.  We learn from our mistakes, even our disappointments, and it makes us that much better.  If everything were just handed to us, we could never really appreciate it as much as we would if the sacrifice did not also involve our own blood, sweat and tears.  It may take more than one effort but once any difficulties faced are overcome, there comes with it a true appreciation for the confidence your own achievements have instilled in you.     

 “Difficulties mastered are opportunities won.” 
~Winston Churchill~
Each difficult step leads to another and another until eventually, you do get to the place you want to be.  It may take time, many attempts, many mistakes and many lessons, but remember this: 

“Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off the goal.” 

~Henry Ford~

I have just begun my journey and while it is exciting, I realize there may be obstacles I must clear as I move towards my goal.  However, this is a journey I will not regret because it means I have turned away from the fear of disappointment and instead moved towards the idea of possibilities.  Possibilities include potential and promise and for anyone who needs encouragement and motivation, there is no better reason to move forward.  Besides, no attempt is a failure when it comes to working towards your goals:
“Shoot for the moon.  Even if you miss, you’ll land among the stars.” 

~Les Brown~




No comments:

Post a Comment