Wednesday, November 14, 2012

The Half-Way Point


I am just about half way through the NaNoWriMo challenge and while I worried and fretted some before the challenge even began, I should have known better.  I am much too competitive and when I set my sights on something, it’s really hard for me to turn away from the task.
If you did not read my post about NaNoWriMo earlier this month, it is a 30-day challenge in November of every year with the goal of writing at least 50,000 words of a new novel. 

Thousands of writers get involved in this challenge. 
I am just one of many, obviously, but this challenge has nothing to do with the rest of the contestants.  Instead, it has everything to do with what I can accomplish during this challenge, regardless of how well others may do.

So how am I doing so far?
Extremely well; in fact, better than I thought would be possible given my daily schedule.  I keep a fairly strict routine to accomplish my goals but so far it is working to my advantage.  As of yesterday, my word count should have been at least 21,671 but I managed 23,734 for my word count by the time I finished writing last night.  Tomorrow I’ll be half way through the challenge and should have a word count of at least 25,005. 

I already see myself hitting that goal.
Part of the reason a writer might do well in this challenge may be based on how much they enjoy what they are creating.  I have no doubt that’s the case for me.  For this challenge I am writing the second book in the Jorja Matthew’s Mystery series and I am having extreme fun writing again. 

Just writing. 
Not reviewing, editing, marketing or publishing…just writing.  I’m back in the bookstore with Jorja and Taylor, investigating a new case, meeting new characters and still trying to solve the mystery surrounding Jorja’s past.  I get lost in the story, the characters and the mysteries.  And I love every single minute of it.

On that note, I need to get back to writing so that when I submit my word count for the day, I’ll still be ahead of the game. 
I’ll be back on Sunday but until then, enjoy the rest of your week.   

No comments:

Post a Comment