Sunday, April 21, 2013

Waiting for Bloggers who Fizzle…or even Burnout


Ever since I began writing my first manuscript and finally started this Blog, I was ecstatic when I learned how much free advice was out there and available in the blogosphere.  I even provided a list of my top 10 favorite Blogs back in February 2012.  I can’t believe it’s been almost two years since I began heavily researching what others had to say about writing, blogging, marketing, and everything else in between. 
But I’ve noticed something lately with some of the bloggers I have been following on a regular basis:

·       They don’t write as often as they used to;

·       It’s been awhile since they’ve even updated their Blog at all;

·       They write but aren’t offering advice or helpful tips so much as what their work has to offer you if you buy it; or

·       They don’t write often themselves but instead offer up guest posts on a regular basis.
Looking at it from a blogger’s point of view, I do understand the burnout.  Eventually, for those bloggers who have made it a habit to offer regular advice, you just might not find something clever and life-changing to say on a regular basis when you feel as if you’ve expelled all you really know about a subject.  I can’t blame them for having a life of their own and for taking care of themselves by focusing on their work rather than plying me with inspirational words and very likely redundant pieces of advice.   

But from a reader’s point of view, it’s almost like losing the morning coffee chats with a good friend.  You look forward to hearing from someone, speaking with them, learning something new from them, and you discover they just don’t have the time for you anymore.  It can make you kind of sad.

Ah, the struggles of growing pains.  It happens even as an adult and even in the professional world.  We just have to learn to roll with the changes…not the punches.  No punches here.  The idea behind a blog is to offer yourself, your experience, your opinion and even your advice but if you decide to change things up, it’s your choice and everyone else just has to deal with it.
My expectations have changed somewhat since I first began scouring the World Wide Web for resources.  Before, I was looking for advice on writing and preparing myself for the possibility of publication.  Now, while I will always continue to research and learn the tricks of the trade behind the craft, I also tend to focus more on research about the business itself when it comes to publication, marketing and sales.  It’s a never-ending task because this business seems to be changing on a daily business and you really need to stay on your toes.

Based on my newfound needs in the marketing and sales world, I have found other bloggers who I follow regularly and they add to the mix of those who may or may not blog as often as they did before.  I thought I would share with you a few additional bloggers I read on a regular basis and why I like them:

·        Catherine, Caffeinated is easily one of my all-time favorite bloggers who has offered a wealth of information with regard to self-publishing but who also retains her own voice and always makes me smile and feel as if I’m sitting with her as we chat over a cup of coffee.
·        From the Write Angle offers multiple views on writing and publishing – here I don’t have to rely on just one voice to give me tips or advice and it’s helpful to read about these issues from different perspectives.
·        Jane Friedman has offered helpful advice from the very beginning and I enjoy the fact that she continues to serve up useful posts with regard to writing and publishing.
·        Toni and Shannon, who dub themselves the Self-Publishing Team, have been wonderful with the wealth of information they have provided on writing, branding, publishing, marketing and promotion.  I can’t remember when I first ran across their blog but when I did, I was like a kid in a candy store.  I don’t remember reading so many archived posts during one sitting but I just couldn’t stop reading.  I had found a treasure trove of information and I knew it.   
·        Wow! Women on Writing is another blog with multiple contributors who offer writing tips, advice and inspiration to writers.  It’s like getting together with a group of girlfriends on a regular basis who completely understand where you’re coming from and what you might need to hear to get you through the week. 
Reading blog posts by other bloggers is a great way for writers to stay on track and feel like they’re not alone so it’s hard when your favorite bloggers decide to take a break, change course or completely go off track.  But as readers, we also have to give bloggers a break and know that there does come a time when the fizzle or the burnout may occur.  If that happens, we can’t give up on them.  We just need to give them some space, visit often to see how they’re doing and be ready to take part when they’re ready for those morning chats again.

No comments:

Post a Comment