Sunday, April 15, 2012

Simply Sunday

Truth be told, this weekend was not a good weekend for writing.  There was just too much going on…too much to do.  With company overnight both Friday and Saturday, plus yard work, limb cleanup and other paperwork that took priority, I wasn’t able to find any good blocks of time for editing or writing. 

What am I doing now, you ask?  Well, this doesn’t count and I won’t be here long enough to tackle working on my books.
I just wanted to write a simple note to say how simply wonderful a simple Sunday can be.

I enjoy staying home on Sundays.  I love to sleep in, make a big breakfast, drink a whole pot of coffee with my favorite creamer and then have the rest of the day to do whatever it is I feel like doing. 
Today the weather was beautiful so I spent most of the afternoon outdoors.  My time was spent playing around on the riding lawnmower, burning limbs and digging around in my raised beds to see what has already decided to start sprouting.

You may wonder how I view these tasks as simple or even enjoyable.
It’s easy, really, to enjoy sprucing up the yard.  It’s even more fun to start a bonfire.  And I am always in my own little world when I get to play around in my gardens. 

So, yes, this was a great way to spend my afternoon, as I also made quite a few discoveries…
Once I finally cut the grass, I saw little Easter lilies still in bloom at the edge of the yard.  I guess no one told them Easter was over but it was sure nice to see them.


And it was nice to see some daffodils still in bloom.  You might not be able to see it but there is a yellow spider hiding in the petals.  I’m afraid he was a bit camera shy.

In my gardens, I discovered that the Lemon Thyme was completely taking over one portion of the raised beds while my Rosemary and Lavender plants were doing what they could to stake out their claims in the garden.  I consider the Lemon Thyme more like my wild child, always pushing others around and taking control, but I absolutely love that plant.  There is nothing I like better than to rub my hands against the Lemon Thyme…it is such a wonderful smell.

I also found my rhubarb plants were thriving well and already pretty big.  While some eat rhubarb raw and it is also good as a sauce (on vanilla ice cream!), the best use for rhubarb is in a recipe my grandmother gave me for strawberry rhubarb cake.  It is, in my opinion, the most delicious cake you will ever smell or taste.
So while my afternoon involved what may sound like chores, those chores left me feeling accomplished and content.  It is an afternoon like this that reminds me how it really is the simple things in life that often bring fulfillment and joy.

If plants could speak, I believe they would have plenty to say to us but I think this quote by Eric Butterworth is perfect:


“Don’t go through life, grow through life.”
Simply put and well said, I’m sure it’s exactly what the lilies, daffodils, rhubarb and herbs were thinking.  Maybe even the spider too.







No comments:

Post a Comment