Monday, April 2, 2012

Platform Challenge, Day 2

Day 2 of the platform challenge is to set your goals, both in the short-term and the long term.  One of my main goals is fairly obvious…I wish to finish editing my book and get it published and then I wish to finish my second book and get that one published and so on and so on.

It’s pretty straight forward as far as I’m concerned.
But what would I list when it comes to both short-term and long-term goals?

Well, first off, you might wonder what difference this makes when it comes to the platform challenge.  In his post for Day 2 of the April Platform Challenge, Robert Brewer maintains that defining and creating goals are important steps in platform development and that a successful platform strategy should communicate who you are and get you to where you would like to be.
That’s a fair statement, don’t you think?

He also says: if you don’t have any goals then you don’t have any direction or purpose for your platform.
I also agree with that statement, not only when it comes to platform building but in all aspects of life.  Without goals it is difficult to find direction or purpose.

So what are my short-term goals?  Well, to complete this challenge, for one.  To get through my birthday this month without having any negative thoughts about what goals I wish I had reached by this time already.  To finish the very last edit I hope to ever have to take part in on my first book so that I can move towards publishing this summer.  To plant another garden this year and find the time to tend it so the weeds don’t take control.  To finish with my second book so it too can move towards publishing by the end of the summer.
Based on my short-term goals, it appears I’ll be very busy this summer!

What are my long-term goals?  To have a number of books written and published.  To be able to spend more time writing and less time working.  To see both of my sons live a good life as they move on towards whatever goals they hope to accomplish in life.   To enjoy life and know that whatever I’ve done, I’ve done well.  And last but certainly not least, to grow old with my husband. 
I don’t think that’s too much to ask, is it?  There are many goals you can strive for and hope to accomplish – some you may have control over, some you may not.  Either way, it doesn’t hurt to have tunnel vision when you have goals in mind.  You just have to remember that sometimes you may come up to a fork or a “T” in the road and whether you take another path or stay the course, if your goals are squarely centered and you keep control of your focus, you will eventually get there... even if it takes a detour or two.


No comments:

Post a Comment