Sunday, July 6, 2014

No Rest for the Weary

This was a crazy, busy weekend and I’m more than thrilled that we still have today to try to catch our breath before we move on to the work week.  We celebrated the 4th of July with a bang, taking part in multiple family gatherings over the course of two days, while remaining constantly busy, eating way too much food and not getting enough sleep.

In a word…I’m exhausted

As much as I’d like to be lazy all day while taking part in the Walking Dead marathon, I can’t completely shut down just because the past few days have completely drained me.  As the saying goes, there is no rest for the weary.  While I would love to avoid the Sunday chores I need to complete in order to clean up after a fun-filled weekend and to prepare for the work week, they are chores that cannot be ignored.  And when the chores are done, you might think I could move on to losing myself with Rick and the others as they continue to fight zombies, but I have my own characters I need to spend time with and for me, that’s actually a great way to relax. 

I guess I could completely shut my brain down in order to rejuvenate but I don’t like the feeling of doing nothing for too long.  Some can take a power nap and feel reenergized but when I try that, I feel even more tired and groggy.  Instead, I feel reenergized when I immerse myself in my writing and my creative side is stimulated by conversations, plot twists and questions that need answers.  That’s one reason why I had to stop writing late at night because I finally figured out that when I stopped writing in order to go to bed, I couldn’t shut my brain off when the story and dialogue continued to run through my head. 

So I will use this day of rest to relax the best way I know how, and that’s to continue to work on my books.  I’m adding to the word count of my new short story as I also continue to work on revisions in Ties that Bind.  Staying behind in one story, with Jorja and the others, while becoming acquainted with a new character in another story is fun.  I’ve discovered I enjoy having two stories in motion and I really enjoy having the ability to move back and forth between the two books, depending on my mood. 

That being said, it’s now time for me to go and relax…

No comments:

Post a Comment