Thursday, June 27, 2019

A road trip for relaxation…and inspiration


If you follow me on Facebook, you may have noticed that I was MIA the past week or so. Or maybe not, the way Facebook shares posts these days.
Glacier National Park

Anyway, my lack of FB updates or a blog post this past weekend was due to the fact that I was on a road trip to Montana. It was a quick trip, considering what we prefer when it comes to road trips, but even just a week on the road taking in the Montana sights is enough to rejuvenate me and help me feel centered.

You might wonder how anyone can feel rejuvenated or centered after a quick road trip two states over. You definitely have to enjoy the whole process of road tripping, especially on our scale when we decide how much we want to do in whatever amount of time we have to do it. Getting to our destination lends a certain amount of excitement as we move ahead with anticipation – a natural high, so-to-speak – even making quick stops to view new sights as the mood strikes us before finally arriving at our first destination.

First destination, you ask?

Yes, first of a few in only a week. We were on the go most of the trip and we saw quite a lot…forests and fields in Washington, historical buildings and beautiful rivers in Idaho, and national parks, rivers, lakes and hot springs in Montana. But we also managed to relax, as well. We relaxed in the hot tub in the evenings after driving, exploring our surroundings and sightseeing around Glacier National Park for two days. We made time to sit by a river whenever we found a nice spot to have a snack and soak in the sights. We parked and stayed put for awhile just to watch a moose far down below us in a valley while enjoying chit chat with other park visitors who were also excited about seeing any type of wildlife. We soaked for hours over two days in the mineral-filled pools at the hot springs. I read a book with the birds chirping and the river flowing next to me while the hubby enjoyed a nice long nap. We took our time eating dinner while playing a game of dice. We visited with locals when we could and asked questions about the best places to eat or hike. We even viewed a few properties for sale! J That’s how much we love Montana.

This road trip was a perfect blend of sight-seeing and relaxation.

As we drove home last night, I began to think about what I needed to accomplish the next few days, beyond all the unpacking and laundry from our trip. Getting back to my current book, getting back on track with an author summit I had signed up for, my morning pages, cleaning out my inbox, a blog post here and on another site I began (if you like walks/hikes and dogs, check it out here), a book promotion for the series, and so many other book-related tasks. I had wanted to begin the book promotion before we left, but the way it was first set up, for about ten days, meant the promotion would run during the week I’d be gone. I knew I’d be in areas where cell service would be non-existent and that running a promotion and posting updates would have been difficult, if not impossible. Therefore, the series promotion had to wait, but it will begin soon and I’ll post again here and on Facebook when it’s up and running.

When my brain began to fill up with all the tasks and projects I needed to get back to, even the fact that my promotion was going to begin later than I had earlier hoped, I was pleased to realize the to-do list didn’t cause me to feel overwhelmed.

Not only am I ready to get back to writing and my normal day-to-day author-activities, I have new ideas and inspiration for the new book series I’m working on. I’m pumped…excited…inspired…all of the above. You get the idea. My thoughts are tumbling with details and I’m putting pen to paper (and fingers to keyboard) with fresh excitement.

While I hadn’t been too certain this was the best time for a little getaway, I now realize it was the perfect time. When road trips and relaxation breed ideas and inspiration, there’s really no doubt.

What about you? What do you do for additional inspiration? Whether it’s a road trip or a staycation, I hope you’re able to enjoy something soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment