Saturday, December 1, 2018

December is dubbed the project month



In addition to finding the perfect tree, decorating for the holidays and spending time with family, the month of December also means a handful of projects for me…

Completing the fifth book in the series so that I can begin editing and revising before it’s shipped off to my editor. I’m excited to complete this novel and move on to the next project, as well as my next project idea of a new series. In addition to other book ideas I’d like to play with, another series might be a lot to take on but I’m excited about it and I know that the idea will continue to chatter at me until I put words on paper. That series will be a WIP for a bit, so I’ll share more once I have more to share. J

The beginning of a new bullet journal for 2019 – this past year was my first year using a bullet journal and while it took some getting used to, I thoroughly enjoy using it over a preprinted calendar that doesn’t accommodate everything I need on a given day or in a whole week. I’ve decided to continue with bullet journaling, which is a good thing since I have SO many journals I’ve purchased that I need to make use of. I’ll schedule a post after the first of the year to share how I put together my bullet journal, for those who might be interested.

A new writing calendar for 2019 – although I have pages earmarked for “author stuff and ideas” in my bullet journal, I track all of my writing notes in a separate calendar/planner so that I can track my word count, author and marketing to-do’s based on my business plan, author events and so on. This calendar is also where I track the days of my characters in the series, which is something else I think I’ll share about in another post. My writing calendar helps me so that when I reflect on the previous year, in preparation for the coming year, everything is in one place and not mixed together with a bunch of personal items I’d have to sift through.

My business plan for the first quarter of 2019 – originally when I wrote about finally putting together my first business plan, I thought I might switch from quarterly to bi-yearly. However, after tracking my to-do’s over the course of almost three quarters, I decided to stick with quarterly plans. Having quarterly reviews fits my business model better and I believe they will help keep me accountable while a six-month plan might be a recipe for procrastination. I’ll be sharing more in a later post with a year-in-review and my plans for 2019.

Organization – seriously, this is a constant WIP but lately I’ve spent a lot of time going over everything I use in my writing life in an attempt to figure out what works, what I can utilize better and what I need to just cut loose (some days, Facebook is high on that list). I have so many ideas, not only with what I want to write, but also what I need to do when it comes to my author platform, marketing and promotion. Too many ideas, really. I want to work smarter, not harder, so that I also have plenty of time to write. Now that I’ve organized everything and condensed my lists, the focus is…what to really focus on. More on this will probably be included in my year-in-review or when I share quarterly updates after the first of the year.

I’m also thinking about my reading list for next year – not that I actually make a list. It’s more like a stack of books I keep adding to on my book shelf that I need to read next. While I have a large stack waiting for me, I’m torn between sticking to a bunch of smaller titles or finally beginning the Game of Thrones series. I loved the TV series and I’m looking forward to how much better I’m certain the books will be. Plus, I think reading them during the winter months of January and February will be the perfect fit.

If you’re curious about my 2018 reading list – here’s a list of the fiction titles I read this past year:

Cookbook Conspiracy by Kate Carlisle
My Sister’s Grave by Robert Dugoni
Fatal Frost by Karen MacInerney
Red Velvet Cupcake Murder by Joanne Fluke
Lemonade and Lies by Agatha Frost
I’d Know You Anywhere by Laura Lippman
Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah
Eaves of Destruction by Kate Carlisle
All the Missing Girls by Megan Miranda
Postcards from the Dead by Laura Childs
The One That Got Away by Simon Wood
Dying for a Taste by Leslie Karst
Deadly Brew by Karen MacInerney
Deja Moo by Kirsten Weiss
Year One by Nora Roberts
Mistletoe Murder by Karen MacInerney (currently reading)

I may be able to add one more book to my reading list this month while I focus on my projects but it won’t stop me from enjoying the season and time I plan to spend with family. December is going to be full of seasonal festivities, family fun, productive projects and time spent reading holiday themed books when the mood strikes. I’d say that’s a great way to spend this last month of the year.

I hope your month will also be full of what makes you happy.

Until next time…


No comments:

Post a Comment