Sunday, December 16, 2018

Delete, delete and…delete



I’ve pretty much had it with my inbox. Maybe you feel the same? I believe it’s time to purge again.

It all started before Black Friday —I began to feel beaten down by the extreme number of emails screaming at me from their subject line to take advantage of this or that deal…
Booker will help delete emails
whether I want him to or not!

24 hours only! Delete

Last call! Delete

Deals made just for you! Delete

Save big NOW! Delete

Only a few hours left! Delete

And I’ll end with the one that said “I need to apologize…” in the subject line, but the body of the email informed me that the apology was because I’d have a difficult time making a decision on which deal to choose from. This one upset me because I usually read this blogger’s emails and she roped me in to a Black Friday sales pitch. Delete

There were more. Many more. I’m sure you likely received your fair share.

I enjoy the bloggers, authors and business entrepreneurs I follow who may have used a freebie to gain my email address but who share more of themselves and their experiences while limiting their requests to buy their products or services. Sadly, they have become fewer and far between, with many gaining email addresses only to dump multiple emails daily or weekly with sales pitches and special offers. If you make a purchase, you’re still buried in sales pitches; or worse, some send emails to ask why you’re not taking them up on such a great offer.

I was so tired of seeing multiple emails and requests to buy that I decided not to take part in Black Friday or Cyber Monday in an attempt to make additional sales for my own books. Did I cut off my nose to spite my face? Maybe. But it’s also possible that if I had taken part, my sales offers would have just been lost in the large shuffle of offers already out there. I made the decision to save additional sales pitches or offers until after the holidays. And I feel good about it.

I think that’s enough time spent on my rant, and rather than end this post on a negative tone, I thought I’d share with you a few of the women who I still enjoy seeing pop up in my inbox:

Susannah Conway @ https://www.susannahconway.com – Susannah is an “author, photographer and teacher who’s been sharing her heart online for over a decade.” I’ve been following Susannah for a couple of years and I enjoy receiving her newsletters, which she calls love letters. She is full of heart and soul, is extremely honest with some of the ups and downs in life, shares classes you can take part in with her and also shares free journaling and photography challenges. My favorite freebie from Susannah is the Unravel Your Year workbook she sends out at the end of each year, which I recently received and can’t wait to work on so that I can compare it to the workbook I completed last year.

Naomi Bulger @ https://www.naomiloves.com - Naomi is a “writer, illustrator…on a path to live a life with more simplicity, greater creativity and deliberate kindness.” She shares thoughts about letter-writing, parenting, creative work and life, and slow living and her mission is to help busy women explore their creativity, share their stories and find their tribe. Her newsletters are thoughtful and sincere and include fun mail art templates you can color if you’re so inclined to use them for snail mail. Or have fun with them just because you like to color. J

Allie @ https://www.thejourneyjunkie.com – Allie is a “body-mind-soul advocate and personal home yoga teacher.” She offers classes, challenges, journal prompts, yoga videos and more. I’ve been learning about and practicing yoga for over two years and it is a constant WIP, as with any exercise routine, and there are high and low points with feelings of success, setbacks and self-doubt. I appreciate and am inspired by Allie’s honesty and no-BS-attitude when it comes to how she deals with her own highs and lows while keeping up with her own practice and running her business.

Beth Kempton @ https://bethkempton.com/about and who is also the Founder of Do What You Love @ https://dowhatyouloveforlife.com/blog. Beth is an author, speaker, traveler and entrepreneur and her mission is to show you how to direct your own life, choose your path and manifest happiness. I enjoy her newsletters complete with her thoughts, updates and inspirational and helpful life and business tips. For the past two years I’ve enjoyed receiving the Do What You Love New Year’s Revolution kit, which is a calendar and workbook to help with accountability and commitments. I’m hopeful this kit will be offered again for 2019 because it’s visually appealing and I’ve been using it in my project binder to help me stay on task with my monthly goals.

These women have something to share, and something to sell, but they continue to hold my trust by continuously holding a conversation rather than expecting constant commerce between parties. Their emails and newsletters are an example of what I look forward to spying in my inbox between all the emails I delete. They have done what others have not; made me feel as if I’m receiving an email from a friend.

And that’s a job well done.

How about you? Do you receive newsletters from someone who inspires you or offers helpful information? If so, I’d love to hear about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment